In this article, you will learn how to add roles and parties to a matter.
Matter parties can be viewed by role or by party. You can choose one of the methods by hovering over the 'Parties' icon on the 'Matter Navigation Bar', or you can click on the icon itself and you will be on the 'Parties (by Role)' page by default.
Parties by Role
Using this method, you can select a contact record to be a party for a matter based on their role. To add more roles to a 'Matter Type', please see Matter Type Settings.
Parties by Party
This will list the currently assigned parties in alphabetical order, along with their assigned roles. You can click on the dropdown menu to the right to add an additional role to each party, as shown in the screenshot below.
You can toggle between the two different modes by clicking on the 'View by Role' button highlighted above. When you are using the 'Parties by Role' mode, the button will read 'View by Party' instead.
Adding a Party
- To add a party, click the add contact search box.
- Here, you can search for a contact or create a new contact.
- Select the desired contact name to add it to the matter parties.
Removing a Party
- To remove a party, select the menu icon next to the party name.
- Then select "Remove Party"
- The selected party will be removed from the matter.
Once a trust account is created on a matter, you will be unable to remove all trust (client account) participants (usually client). One must be present at all times. The trust participant can be changed by adding the new participant and then removing the old one.