In this article, you will learn how to switch the matter type of existing matters.
The 'Switch Matter Types' function allows you to convert an existing matter of one type to another type (eg. from a 'General Matter' type to a 'Conveyancing' type). Because of Actionstep's workflow capabilities, one matter type can be vastly different from another so before you can convert a matter to another type the two types will need to be mapped.
Once a matter is switched, the matter number, name, file notes, documents and emails on the matter will be retained and parties and custom data will be converted based on mapped values.
|WARNING: This is a function that is only available to a user with admin access.
Switching a Matter Type
|WARNING: Please take care to map your matter types accurately. There is no undo option for converting a matter.
Navigate to the switch matter types screen by:
- Click on Admin.
- Select the Matter Types tile.
- Click on the 'Change matter type for 1 or more matters' button. (Right-hand side of the screen.)
- You will be prompted to choose a 'From' matter type and a 'To' matter type. Select the matter type of the matter or matters you want to convert in the 'From' option and choose the type you would like to convert it into in the 'to' box.
- If the two types are not mapped you will prompted to create a new mapping between the two. (See the section below for more details.)
- If the two types have been mapped already you will be prompted to choose what matters are to be converted.
- You are able to convert matters type in bulk, either for all matters of that type, based on the status of the matter or you can select individual matters to convert. When selecting individual matters just search for and select matters as you normally would. You can search and select as many as you would like.
- Under the Feature preview section you will need to tick the box "I understand there is no undo function and that a database restore is the only options in the event of mass data loss".
- Click "Save".
Mapping a Matter Type to Another
Before you can switch a matter from one type to another you must map those two types. Mapping involves choosing what party types and fields in one matter type should be populated as in the other matter type.
|WARNING: Please make sure you double check your mappings and test your mapping on example data before using in any bulk-conversion. Once data is converted you will either need to manually restore the data by hand or restore from the most recent system backup to revert to the previous state.
|TIP: By mapping one matter type to another matter type does not mean that you can convert both into the other. If you want to have the ability, you will need to map Matter type A into Matter type B, then Matter type B into Matter type A as a seperate mapping.
- If two matter types have not been mapped you will be told after you select them, as per the screenshot below.
- Click the Create new mapping button in the pink box to create the mapping.
- You will be stepped through a process. Some of the sections in the process below are dependant on that type of data being on your matter type. If your matter does not have it, you wont be prompted to map it.
- Confirm the types you are wanting to map - Set and confirm the types you are wanting to map. The first screen will be to confirm or change what type of matter you are converting from and to. Once you click Next this will be saved and locked in for the rest of the mapping.
- Map participant -This will list all Participant types or Parties that you have on a matter of the "From type". In the drop-down next to it, will be listed the available participant types on the "To matter type". By selecting a party from a drop-down you are saying that a contact on a matter as a party on the left, will be added to the party on the drop-down to the right.
- Custom data (Data collection name) - Each of the data collections that you have on your matter type will be listed as a section and under that section will be all the fields that can be populated.For each, use the drop-down to select the equivalent field in the To matter type. Fields of a certain type should be mapped to fields of the same type. For example, a data field should be mapped to another date field, a date data field mapped to a date data field. You can hover over the question mark beside a listed field to see that field's type. The drop-down will show what type each field is.
- Any data collections that are multi-record data will have the note that appears in the screenshot below.
- Multi-record data fields can only be mapped to other multi-record data collections. Single record data collection fields can only be mapped to single record data fields.
- Once you have entered all the details, click the Next button at the bottom of the screen.
- Matter additional data conversion map -Two types of options may appear on the next screen: custom participant data and values for drop downs. The participant types you selected may have custom participant data. If they do you will be prompted to choose what custom participant data fields should be mapped to. The options available in the drop-down will be dependant on the participant type you have mapped together.
- If you have mapped a drop-down field to another drop-down field you will be asked to map for each the values in that field and what the equivalent value will be. For example, if your drop down was to select if a conflict check is complete with the options “Yes” and “No”. The mapping would ask what value “Yes” should be mapped to and what value “No” should be mapped to. If the drop-down fields appear to be the same then the values might be automatically mapped.
- Click Next to finish the mapping.
Editing, Exporting and Importing Matter Type Mapping
You are able to make changes to any previously mapped matter types by Access the Matter Mapping screen. You can get to this screen by:
- Clicking the button Manage mappings.
- From the Manage mapping screen, you can see a list of all previously mapped mater type. You are able to edit the mapping by clicking on either the To or From matter type name. You can create a new mapping by clicking the green 'Create mapping' button.
- You can choose to apply a previously mapped matter type by clicking the words 'Use this mapping' in the third column.
- You are also able to download a copy of the mapping and import it into a system. This makes it easier to apply mapping done in one Actionstep system to another. To export a mapping you have completed, click the 'Download map file' link in the fourth column. The file will be downloaded to your computer.
- To import it again, click the green 'Import map file' button. You will be prompted to search for and upload the file from your computer. Click 'Save' to finish the import.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Sorry! We couldn't be helpful
Thank you for your feedback
We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article