Let's Get the Basics Sorted.
It only takes 5 minutes to get your Actionstep to the point where you can invoice a client for a matter. That's a short coffee break! ☕️
Let's show you how.
Firstly, the link to get into Actionstep is go.actionstep.com.
When you log in to Actionstep, you will see this Getting Started checklist:
The more of these check-boxes that you tick, the more configured your system will be and the more comfortable you will be with using the product.
Create your first matter
To get started, click on "Create your first matter" in the most left-hand column:
Create a "General" matter as this is the most versatile matter type in Actionstep. There will be a tour that guides you through the process of creating a matter, but if you would like any additional information on matter creation, view this article. If you would like an explanation on the differences between matter types, you can learn more here.
Create your first time entry
This process is fairly intuitive. However, if you'd like some help with this process, have a look at this article.
How do I invoice for my time entry?
I'm glad you asked.
Once you've entered your time entry, simply navigate to the matter you've just created. You can do this by searching the matter name or ID in the search bar. Alternatively, navigate to Matters > Matters List to see all your matters.
Once in your matter, navigate to the Billing tab:
If you haven't got an accounting system setup, you will see this message:
Go ahead and choose an accounting system. Your options are:
- Xero / Quickbooks Online Integration - these integrations allow you to connect Actionstep with your Accounting software. It will pull the chart of accounts into Actionstep and allow you to set up which accounts you assign invoices and disbursements to. It is a one-way integration, so any invoices and payments created in Actionstep will push through to Xero/Quickbooks Online.
- Billing / Trust Accounting Only option - if you select this option your can run the invoicing and trust accounting features, but none of these figures will be recorded in a business accounting product. Accounting reporting, tax returns and other financial functions will have to be done outside of Actionstep. While you can run some reports to help summarise the billing done in Actionstep, this will have to be manually or calculated or re-entered for financial reporting on your business.
Once you've picked an accounting system, let's create an invoice. Here is a video that walks you through the process of billing for a time entry:
Here is an article that goes into creating invoices in a little more depth.
Congrats... getting paid really is that easy!
Other basic topics that are worth diving into:
The goal of this stage is to get your information from your previous system into Actionstep. Once completed, you will:
- Move existing matters & contacts into Actionstep
- Import invoices and disbursements into Actionstep
- Attach any relevant file notes
NOTE: Many of the steps in this Stage are not available on the Express product. If you are currently using Express, either ignore this Stage or select one of the below options:
The goal of this stage is to customize your Actionstep system to make matter management far more streamlined and efficient. Once completed, you will:
- Have your automatically-populating documents templates entered into Actionstep
- Be able to set these document templates to automatically generate based on step changes in Actionstep workflows
- Be able to automatically collect prospect/client information through forms
- Have the ability to customize data fields & list views
- Document Templates & Automation
- Task automation
- Automate client intake with webforms
- Collaborate with clients using the Client Portal
- Additional scenarios & customization